Thursday, May 17, 2007

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs


My review of Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. First of all, I do not claim to be a professional writer, nor a professional reviewer person (is there a name for that?). When I began reading this book I was aware that I was reading a memoir. My favorite kind of books to read are memoirs, auto-biographies, and biographies. This book seemed very interesting to me because it was about a child who grew up in unique and different circumstances. I like these kinds of books because they make me feel normal... haha
However I began to realize half-way through the book that this author seems to have no emotion about his life. I guess that's the reaction one must make when faced with such difficulty. However, it is normal to have emotion when looking back on it and writing about it. The author began to describe his pedophilia boyfriend (whom was 20 years older), his crazed mother who left him to her shrink, and his best friend that began giving blowjobs when she was 12. Now I realize that I have read worse books, I guess I just thought that it was going to be better, considering that it was made into a major motion picture. Usually books that have movies made about them, are pretty good.
I am glad to say that I did finish the book, in fact, I couldn't put it down. I don't know if that is because I wanted to get to the point or because the author actually had me interested. Whatever it was, I will say that I enjoyed the book, it is a 3 on a scale of 1-5.

No comments:

JessicaBW's shared items

Blogger Against Hunger